We survived our first full week since before Christmas. I didn't think it was ever going to end. And, it was also a report card week! It's hard to believe that we have started the 3rd nine weeks. Time to buckle up and put the pedal to the metal!
To celebrate the end of this week, I"m linking up with Kacey over Doodle Bugs Teaching, to share with you five things that have happened this week.
1. My first giveaway! I'm hosting my very first giveaway this week to celebrate 100 followers. I'm so excited! Tune in tomorrow when I announce the winners of the Target and Starbucks gift cards.
2. Germs are not for sharing! We spent the week learning about germs and why it's not ok to share them. We read lots of informational books and ended the week with a video from United Streaming. Have you ever heard of A Germ's Journey? This was one of the books that I read to my class this week. I found it last year in our school library and found out real quick that it was going to be a hit. This year was no different. The kids loved the graphics, the quirky information, and all of the elementary school humor it contained. If you teach about germs and staying healthy, this is a book you must have!
3. I started my Family and Community involvement Master's class last night. The professor seems very nice and full of information. I really like the format of the class this semester. It's a hybrid class, one week we meet face to face and then the next we work on-line. Can't complain about that!!!!! I hope to learn a lot of strategies for encouraging positive parent involvement.
4. Report Cards. Report cards went home Wednesday. I don't know how you all feel about them, but I really don't like them at all. Our report cards are not teacher friendly, nor parent friendly. I'm hopeful though. An email went out to all of the elementary school teachers in our district this week stating that there was going to be a meeting in a few weeks to discuss next year's report card. Our district will be forming a committee to look into making changes that will align with the new CCSS. One can only hope for some good change!!!!
5. New hard drive! On New Year's Eve, I had a little accident with my laptop and my hard drive crashed. I lost everything! Good news though, my new hard drive came in and I'm hoping that Mr. M will get it installed for me this weekend. I spent last Saturday trying to recoup all of my fonts and graphics that I had (I was really trying to avoid doing those dreaded report cards). I think I have recovered about 80% of those graphics that I lost. It's been a tedious process, it seems like each day I remember something that was on my desktop. I'm going to really make sure that I back up my desktop on a regular basis from now on. I don't want to go through this again!
Hope you all have a great weekend! Here in the Palmetto State the weather has been very nice, if it was spring. Today it was a breezy 78 degrees. It looks like the rest of the weekend is going to follow suit. I don't want super frigid, Artic weather. But come on! It's winter. I want to wear my sweaters and not melt in them!